Thursday 21 June 2012

Home Is Where You'd Hang Your Hat If You Could Find It

When I make my one week in five visits back home I generally take a break from blogging. I can't legitimately claim that I don't have time to do it, I think it's more a case of running out of thoughts to put into words. In any case I returned to Nuremberg this past Tuesday following about 10 days back home.
Home. Interesting concept. I was very fortunate to interact with so many friends during my visit. A significant number wished me a "Good Trip" referring to my return to Germany. And internally I invariably had the same initial thought: "THIS is my trip", that is to say Nuremberg is my temporary residence so when I go "Home" to Canada, that is when I'm on a trip. It's easy to see why I might think that way. I spend roughly 80% of my time over here. Since I have clothes and other things in two locations I can now very comfortably travel overseas with just a small amount of hand luggage. So why would anyone wish me a good trip?
The answer is obvious, at least to anyone other than myself. Home isn't defined by where you spend most of your time. It's not defined by where your blue blazer, raincoat and running shoes are. And no, it's not defined by where your hat is hanging although, truth be told, I have hats hanging in (at least) two countries. As I mentioned I was able to get together with a lot of friends when I was back in Canada. Circumstances varied but it was always a case of getting together with groups of people, engaging in conversations, relating experiences since we had last seen one another, maybe sharing a meal and invariably having a lot of laughs, all with people I care about and who care about me. Wherever those people are, that's where home is.
Next time I'll try to be a little more informative, a little funnier and a little less sentimental. Until then,
Thanks for reading,
Tom
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment